Saturday, April 10, 2010

A Strange Anniversary

A couple days ago passed the two year anniversary of my last paid workday. Well, hopefully not last *ever*. I joked with my wife that we'd celebrate by not going out to dinner.

I'm lucky enough that this was voluntary. It has resulted in the best two years of my life, without a doubt.

The plan at the time was to find an idea that would become a company that I would start. At that point I thought it would actually be one of the ideas that I had at the time. I had only worked for startups, 3 of them, since 1996 - the year after I graduated college.

I was looking to get out of networking and telecommunications specialties and work in the more general consumer internet space.

We found out my wife was pregnant before I made the plunge, but that timing was really perfect. It allowed me to be working on my own projects at home through the pregnancy and has allowed me to be working from home through the entirety of my daughter's life so far (17 months).

I worked on a few of my own projects independently, and worried my wife a little bit when I'd move from one to the next - just when she was getting used to the idea that the one I had been working on was going to be "the one".

The whole time I figured the worst case was I was acquiring experience in *lots* of new technologies that I'd put to good use at some point. And as it turned out, that was the perfect warm up for what came next.

Last fall I got introduced to someone looking for a technical cofounder, and the result is now Yieldbot.

Which is a great way to mark the two-year point. We've launched recently, in private Beta, and learning a ton from our first customer experiences, and being pushed by customer demand. Which is good, as this should mean not too much longer before my little family can spend some money again.

It's been a heckuva two years - wouldn't change a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment