Wednesday, October 28, 2015

2008 Craziness

I was reading this article tonight about a tweetstorm from @pmarca about the financial crisis and it sparked a couple thoughts about that time for me.

First, it's hard to believe I'm at an age where something that seems so recent to me would be relative pre-history for someone of the age that could be a co-worker. But do the math and there you go.

Second, I was thinking of how crazy that time was and how crazy I was on top of it.

I was 6 months into a voluntary break from paid work exploring my own ideas/projects that I hoped would lead to my starting my own company. The financial system was collapsing. My wife was 7 months pregnant. I was actually feeling hopeful in that I thought they would let more fail than they did. I was still a little more than a year away from hooking up with @jonathanmendez to start Yieldbot and more than 2 years away from that bringing my next paycheck. And on the biggest down day of the market I cobbled together what I could to make some strategic stock buys. (For better or worse) I haven't done any stock trading since.

Reflecting on all of that, I suppose it's no wonder I love the startup world; wherein you get that level of crazy on an ongoing basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment