Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sunday drives and technology

I was thinking recently about how much of technology is still in a novelty phase. By which I mean that it gets attention and traction because it is new and piques our interest. Twitter is probably a good and most hyped current example of that.

My thought was that maybe this was like back at a time in the US when cars were a novelty and people went for rides just because they could. Then commuting became so much an everyday part of life that the car isn't as much of a toy anymore. I guess it is the canonical "crossing the chasm" thing.

It reminds me of the commercial back in my childhood when the microwave was still a novelty that had the family sitting around watching the food turn in the microwave as it was cooked. We obviously just set the time and hit start and walk away now-a-days.

The reason I'm thinking about this is because in thinking of new ideas for technology, I want to keep in mind the difference between something that will survive the novelty phase and something that won't.

It's also just interesting to ponder what life will look like in 10 years when some of today's novelties become the fabric of our everyday lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment