Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Memory Lane

Here's to the launch of the TRS-80 back on 8/3/1977 (Wired article: http://goo.gl/njnJ). I remember the model well because I had a "pre-owned" one back in the early 80's.

At the time it was an awesome upgrade from my first computer, the Timex Sinclair 1000 (although I had the 16K expansion unit for $50 for that baby!)

The funny thing about the TRS-80 is that I liked it because it looked like a "real" computer. More like what you could see in the movies. Given everything started with "War Games" for me (like everyone else at the time?) I think it makes sense.

I regret that I have didn't have an Apple computer back in the 80's. But I did follow an eclectic path from the TS/1000, to TRS-80, Coleco Adam, Leading Edge IBM clone, and then finally 386, and eventually Pentium.

At the same time my online experience started in about 1986 on a teletype we had at school with an acoustic-coupled modem dialed into a small PDP-11 network. High School brought with it a VAX cluster, college was networked Sun workstations (Gopher was all the rage!), and finally the Internet.

Some signposts I can measure my life by.

No comments:

Post a Comment