Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Year in Technology

Year-end got me thinking about all the technology that I've been working with this year. And it's been quite a year! Since this coming year % 10 == 0 it has me tempted to put together a list of the tech I've worked with the last 10 years, but that'll have to come later.

I started the year in the middle of working on a phone application which gets Android SDK up on the list. It was really a pleasurable API to work with, and the coding style reminded me of some of the Java Swing client coding that I worked with in the past.

This year for me was about a huge push into web technologies. In my last startup in SW Architect role I got a solid start in that direction, as I headed up our push into web services (though SOAP and not REST based as this was enterprise environment).

But this year got me solidly doing some development in PHP and CSS and Javascript.

I worked on making my app available through Facebook using the PHP Facebook API and that really pushed me into the ugly details of PHP development.

Luckily on the next project I took on a good friend and colleague pushed me in the direction of Python and in particular using the Django web platform.

A big part of that project was Firefox Extension development which was really fascinating. This kicked up my Javascript development up a big notch, but also interesting in and of itself for understanding how the guts of web browsers actually work.

A couple months ago I became co-founder of a company that is still in stealth mode. Everything I did up to this point was excellent preparation for that.

It's also added a couple new technologies onto this year's list. The first is Lucene which is a Java-based indexing and search technology (no, we're not building a search engine!) which happily has a Python wrapper, PyLucene, which is what I'm using.

Just this week I've been working with MongoDB and it's been awesome. Having worked with SQL quite a bit the last number of years (first Oracle, then Postgres, then MySQL) in an enterprise application environment, building a system on top of MongoDB (using PyMongo naturally!) is awesome.

I'm looking forward to another year of new technology. Especially putting together the system for our new company. It looks to be a really exciting year coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment